Audiobook Production with Pro Audio Voices
If you’ve never been through the audiobook creation process, Pro Audio Voices (“PAV”) makes it easy and accessible. We’re always working on improving our systems for the most enjoyable and efficient process. The following describes our current process for our clients (author, publisher, or any other legal rights holder). The first steps are as easy as 1-2-3:
- Discovery Call
- Pre-Production & Casting
Discovery Call: Before we dive into the production process, we like to make sure that our clients are a good match for us and that we’re a good match for them. We’re looking for clients who have a passion for their project and really care about bringing their book to life and getting it out into the world. To save everyone time and energy, we start with a 10-minute Discovery Call. This can happen via phone or video conferencing. If it looks like we’re a good match, then we’ll ask you to email your manuscript.
Consultation Call: Next we set up a 30-minute Consultation Call to discuss your project in more detail, clarify what we can offer you, and discuss any challenges and opportunities regarding the production and/or marketing.
Pre-Production & Casting: Some audiobook projects involve enhancements such as multiple voices, music, and/or sound effects. Some involve manuscript modifications such as directions for an activity so listeners know what to do at a given moment, or invitations to visit the website for freebies, or converting a screenplay into a narrative that will work better for an audiobook. Other manuscripts are ready to start casting right away. As soon as we’re clear on the needs and scope of the project, we start the casting process with a call and/or email from our Director of Production.
Audiobook Production Process
Our Director of Production will be your primary contact during the production of your audiobook. She will keep you updated on the schedule and status of your project and is available for questions that may come up.
- Auditions & Casting: An audition text is created from your manuscript and we invite narrators from our talent pool to audition. We vet the auditions, then provide 3 or more narrator samples for you to choose from. Once we cast the narrator/s, we move into the production process.
- First Chapter: We will prepare the first approximately 15 minutes of the project for your approval before we move forward in full with the remainder of the project.
- Audio Delivery: We will deliver edited audio files for your review via Google Drive. At this time, you will have the opportunity to request changes. Replacement files will be uploaded for your final approval. Once all audio files are approved, we move into the submission process.
- Digital Distributors: We set up free accounts with Authors Republic (AR) and/or FindawayVoices (FV) for you. These are available to authors internationally. You will have access to distribution through Audible and iTunes through these distributors. If you prefer to go exclusive through ACX.com, we can do that, though it is not our recommendation.
- Book Cover Conversion, ISBNs, Description, etc.: Audiobook distributors require cover images to meet their technical specifications, which differ from print and ebook specs. We offer graphic design services to convert your book cover image. We also offer our clients ISBNs (you’ll need 2) and a review of your book description from a marketing perspective.
- Upload and Submission: Once all audio files are approved, a retail sample is selected, and submission information is gathered, we submit it for launch! It takes 3 days to about 3 weeks before your audiobook goes live in retail and library channels around the world.
Marketing Your Audio Book
Audiobook Marketing Program™ (AMP): Once your audiobook is live, we love to help authors AMP up their marketing with our Audiobook Marketing Program™. AMP is available to our audiobook production clients at a discount. If you have an audiobook produced elsewhere but you would to get in on the marketing power of AMP, we’d love to help!